Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Barn Owl at Tawas Point State Park, 17 May 2007

On Thursday I received a call saying that several birders were watching a Barn Owl at Tawas Point State Park in East Tawas MI! Within an hour, I was on the road. Luckily for me, the bird (which had been flighty all morning) decided to stick to its roost during my entire drive, and I was treated to four straight hours of watching this great bird once I arrived (2 hrs 55 minutes from Grand Rapids, and no tickets).

There has not been a publicly chasable Barn Owl in Michigan that I know of in at least 15 years, save this one. Here are my 2 best photos:
As is often the case during mid and late May, birding at the point was fabulous Saturday and Sunday, with the highlights being:

Mourning Warbler
Canada Warbler
Wilson's Warbler
Philadephia Vireo
Sanderling
Ruddy Turnstone

Others reported:
Whimbrel
Golden-winged Warbler
Blue-winged Warbler

No comments: