Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Another Eared Grebe- ALMOST in Kent Co. (200 feet away)

To think just a week ago I was hoping (and not expecting) to see Eared Grebe in Kent Co., and now I am posting about my second in a week, not including a visit to Muskegon Wastewater, mind you. That said, this particular bird was not in Kent Co., but 200 feet to the west of the county line in Ottawa Co., where it is also rare. First the location, Cranberry Lake, bisected by the Kent/Ottawa line between 8 and 9 Mile Rds. The bird's location on the morning of 25 April was here:
Here are my best photos and video I could manage. The bird did not lift its head a single time during my visit:



Several Ottawa Co. listers I informed about this bird apparently have had no luck refinding it today (26 April). What a year for this species in the southern lower peninsula of Michigan, and perhaps regionally? (one birder in Wisconsin is reporting a banner year there as well here).

No comments: