Total Pageviews

Friday, January 26, 2007

More information about warbler specimen

The curator of the University of Michigan Museum of Zoology had this to say upon receiving the warbler specimen yesterday:

"It was 6.9 g, and the pectoral muscle looked thin. It didn't look like
anything was wrong with it. No tumors or parasites I could see, no mites
on the feathers. I'll save the stomach, and I saved tissue and a partial
skeleton and pickled the syrinx. I think I'll pin it out with one wing
spread. It will be a nice skin."

This is very interesting as some theorize that vagrants show a higher incidence of brain tumors or other problems. In this case, the bird may be nothing more than a natural extreme genetic variant in the population.

It also appears that my scale was not very accurate!

No comments: